Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Please Touch!


How often do you see a piece of artwork that you are actually invited to touch? While most of the beautiful pieces that fill Animal Kingdom Lodge are for display only, there is one particular item that allows guests to become personally involved with the traditions of an African culture.


This intricately carved wooden door is from the Nupe tribe located in Nigeria. They are traditionally Muslim, so their artwork primarily consists of abstract designs. To be able to not only view, but actually touch, a piece like this that is filled with identifiable items such as birds, drinking vessels, lizards, and an airplane is a wonderful experience.

The next time you find yourself at the Animal Kingdom Lodge, please make sure to touch this door on your way out to not only ensure a safe journey, but also embrace a unique culture.

2 comments:

Lainey Schallock said...

That's fascinating Jessica. My family and I stayed at the Animal Kingdom Lodge on our trip to Disney World in June and I never noticed this item. They have lots of beautiful pieces of art/handicrafts and other historical items which are really beuatiful and add to the theme of the hotel just perfectly. I enjoyed as well the background you provided on the door's cultural importance. Nicely done.

Unknown said...

I also cannot believe I missed this. My wife and I stayed there last September and spent a lot of time touring the grounds while she took her afternoon naps